Tottenham Hotspur full-back Djed Spence is in advanced talks with Inter Milan, with a deal worth a minimum of £25.6m reportedly on the table. The 26-year-old has emerged as a key target for the Serie A champions, having enhanced his reputation at the World Cup, at which he made eight appearances. Despite coming under criticism early in the tournament, Spence ended up starting and impressing in England's World Cup semi-final defeat by Argentina.

What happened?

Spence was named in Tottenham's Premier League starting XI 23 times last season as they narrowly avoided relegation. He has made 85 appearances for the north London club after a £20m move from Middlesbrough in July 2022 and Spurs have begun the process of identifying potential replacements.

Why it matters for Tottenham Hotspur

Tottenham manager Roberto de Zerbi said in July that he wanted to convince Spence to stay at the club. De Zerbi added he sees Spence, who signed a long-term deal with the club last year, as an important part of his plans. Spain's World Cup winner Pedro Porro, who De Zerbi said is the "best in the world" in his role, currently occupies Spence's preferred right-back position at Spurs.

What comes next?

The England defender played six times at left-back at the World Cup and featured 32 times on the left for Tottenham last season. Spurs signed Scotland left-back Andy Robertson, 32, from Liverpool at the start of the summer. With Spence's future uncertain, it remains to be seen whether he will remain at the club or make the move to Inter Milan.

As of August 13, 2026, Tottenham Hotspur are 17th in the Premier League, with 41 points from 38 games. They have scored 48 goals and conceded 57, with a goal difference of -9. They are 44 points behind leaders Arsenal and have several players sidelined, including Wilson Odobert, Xavi Simons, Dominic Solanke, James Maddison, and Mohammed Kudus.